Tuesday 15 January 2013

GH Review: Boots Expert Sensitive Hydrating Serum

I just finished this serum up this morning and realized, after tossing the bottle, that I'd never reviewed it. Hopefully the stock photography isn't too boring.

In any event, I picked up the Boots serum about a year ago at Target. To be perfectly honest, I'm still not sure why serums exist. There are deeper-treating or more nutrient-infused moisturizers on the market, if that's what you're looking for, and frankly I still suspect that serums are mostly a way for skincare companies to convince you that you need another product in your growing three-ring circus of a routine.




On to the product itself. I was expecting a serum to be more oily or thick, but this felt exactly like most pump moisturizers -- neither particularly thin, nor particularly thick (think most mid-range Neutrogena moisturizers with an SPF).

The main difference that I noticed was how much more quickly the serum would soak into the skin. While my moisturizers tend to sit on my face for a few minutes, this disappears almost immediately.

But whether I'd use it on its own, under a moisturizer, under foundation, at night or in the morning, I can't say that I noticed any kind of difference in my skin. The only advantage it had over a moisturizer for day was that, because it sank more quickly into the skin, I liked using it under foundations or tinted moisturizers because I never had to worry about the "curdling" effect from the combination of two products.

Other than that, I can't exactly say that I recommend it. I'll try a couple of other serums to see if it was just this product, or the concept of serums in general, before making a firm verdict, but for overall effectiveness and usefulness, I feel like I have to give this a tentative C.

No comments:

Post a Comment