Wednesday 28 November 2012

The Yearlong Makeup Buying Freeze



I've been wanting to do this for a while because my makeup collection is beyond out of control. What really clinched it was that today I was wandering around a drug store and felt frustrated because I literally couldn't think of a single makeup product that I didn't have, which meant I couldn't really justify buying something new.

Put simply, something is probably wrong when you're disappointed that you have everything you need.

So what I propose (for myself, but you're free to follow along) is the following:

A freeze on makeup purchasing from now until November 28th of 2013.

There are, of course, a few caveats.




1) If I run out of a very specific makeup item -- like foundation, concealer, primer, etc. -- I may buy more.
But only one item to replace the one I've run out of. And this does not extend to eye shadow colors or lipstick colors. I'd need to literally run out of all lipstick, gloss or eyeshadow to buy another. It'll be interesting to see if I actually can run through anything. It seems unlikely.

2) The makeup that I do buy should be high-end. 
This might sound like a strange condition, but my reasoning is this: high-end makeup comes with consultants, testers and a good return policy. I love drug store makeup, but I can't count the number of times I've had to estimate which concealer or eyeshadow will look best, only to go home disappointed. 99% of the time, I've been perfectly satisfied with my high-end stuff because I could talk it through with a representative and try it out ahead of time. High-end stuff also tends to come with perks, like gifts with purchase.

3) Mascara -- the Great Exception.
Obviously mascara should be changed every 3 months, which means I'll be buying 3-4 new mascaras during this time period. Because of the turnover rate of mascara, I'll keep this low-end. I have long enough lashes that mascara's never been a big need and I've noticed that quality doesn't improve enough with price to justify the higher cost.
---

I recognize that this may make my blog a little unpopular, since reviewing new items tends to be the bread and butter of usual makeup blogs, but for both financial reasons and my own sanity, this feels like a good move.

I'll still be doing my goo hoarding reviews, but instead of going through a lump of them on Mondays, I'll review products throughout the week individually. Believe me when I say I have enough stuff in my makeup trunk to ensure a lot of posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment